Wednesday 16 January 2019

Thursday 17th January

I’ve no idea why, but there is a glut of decent races tomorrow…

Up until yesterday, there had barely been a mid-week race of interest, since New Years Day - but, without exaggeration, I could easily have previewed 10 of tomorrows races.

Ofcourse, that’s not what I do on the mid-week blog - that level of effort is saved for the weekends !
The mid-week is supposed to be a relaxing amble through the following day races - so I’ve restricted the preview to 4 races.

Ofcourse, I still had the issue of deciding which 4 !
However, there are 2 official eye catchers running (and I like the chances of them both) so that was a couple of races taken care of.
I could easily have selected the 2 others from an excellent Market Rasen card - but instead I opted to go to Wincanton…

Here are my relatively brief thoughts !


Ludlow

2:15

Whoshotwho was an eye catcher on his most recent outing, at Haydock, behind Daklondike
I tipped the winner that day - but turning for home, I would happily have jumped ship to Whoshotwho !
He was travelling very powerfully - but he didn’t get home in the heavy ground.
He was also running over a trip further than he’d run over previously, so returned to 2m4f on decent ground, I would expect him to run a very big race.
The question is really whether there is anything sufficiently well handicapped to beat him…
The market likes Gortroe Joe - but I prefer Whoshotwho.
Truckers Highway is in good form - but he’s up in the weights, and in class.
More Buck’s and Town Parks would both have a shout on their best of their form - but there are reasons for doubting they will produce that tomorrow…
If you can get 5/2 in the morning (and I think you should be able), then he would strike me as a fair bet…

Selection: Whoshotwho


Market Rasen

3:45

Sands Cove was an eye catcher last time, when he ran at Hereford.
He was also a speculative tip that day - and I briefly thought he might provide a big priced win.
Unfortunately that didn’t happen - but he did run well - and I was left with the feeling that we were probably on him a run too soon…
I knew that was a risk when I tipped him - but at the odds, felt it was worth it.
I like the fact that he’s been given a month to recover from that run - and that he’s running at Market Rasen, a course where his trainer does well.
Trip and ground should be ideal for him - and he’s now embarrassingly well handicapped !
The only negatives are that he’s 12 years old - and he has to shoulder 12st7lb.
However, he can be backed at 7/1 this evening, so in a 7 runner race, those negatives are certainly factored into the price.
The race should take very little winning - and if Sands Cove can build on his last run (and handle the weight), I think he will win.

Selection: Sands Cove at 7/1


Wincanton

1:55

This doesn’t appear to be a particularly deep race - and I like the look of Highest Sun.
He ran well in what was a slightly better race last time, at Cheltenham.
That was also his handicap debut - and only his second run in the UK, so it’s reasonable to think he should be able to improve a fair bit.
In truth, I don’t think he will need to, in order to win this.
Snapdragon Fire looks his main rival - but he was raised 5lb for finishing second last time, which looks harsh.
The other one worthy of consideration, is Peterborough.
He won last time out - but that was a a weaker race and he’s been raised 6lb.
Highest Sun has been backed a bit tonight - but 5/2 still seems a fair enough price.

Selection: Highest Sun at 5/2

3:35

I’ve suggested a couple of shorter priced horses for tomorrow - but the odds available on Skellig Rock are more in line with most TVB selections !
A bit like Ulan Bhute today, the main attraction with him, is his trainer…
Rob Walford has been in great form for a few weeks now - and Skellig Rock is his only runner on the card.
Ex. Irish, the horse made his UK debut over course and distance, back in November and ran a nice race.
He was still travelling strongly jumping the cross fence but he got that wrong and was then under pressure.
Maybe unsurprisingly, he couldn’t make any inroads on the leaders up the home straight - but he ran on well enough and a 5lb drop in the handicap looks generous to me.
He can be backed at 11/1 tonight - and whilst there are a few potential dangers in the race, that strikes me as a fair bet.

Selection: Skellig Rock at 11/1

No comments:

Post a Comment