Tuesday 22 January 2019

Wednesday 23rd January

I’ll only be previewing one day on the blog, this week…

There was little of interest either yesterday or today: whilst I be covering Thursday on the Main service (it’s Thystes chase day at Gowran Park) - and I tend to opt out of Fridays, as I like to spend the time to preparing for the weekend…

When I looked at tomorrows cards earlier in the week, I was quite optimistic.

There are a couple of class 3 handicaps (which is what I tend to target, during the mid-week) on both the Catterick and Hereford cards.

However the final declarations for 3 of the 4 races, have proved to be disappointing…

The 2 Catterick races have only yielded 7 runners between them: whilst there is only 4 declared for one of the races at Hereford.

There is a decent field for the other Hereford race - but to complete tonights preview, I’ve had to look at a couple of novice events on the Hereford card…

In truth, whilst the 3 races I’ve ended up looking at, are all fair contests, I don’t have a particularly strong view on any of them - so if you do choose to follow the selections, I would suggest keeping stakes to a minimum !!


Hereford

1:45

I’d be disinclined to support Mulcahys Hill at 6/4 in this - the question is, what to take him on with…
Second favourite, Sully D’Oc AA (what a ridiculous name !) is making his UK debut - so it’s all guesswork with him (though the market will probably guide).
Aintree My Dream is the obvious one to side with - though I might be more inclined to take a chance with Wilde Blue Yonder…
He’s been struggling to jump hurdles recently - never mind fences - and hit one early, on his chasing debut last time out.
However that was in a fair race at Newbury - and he did mange to get round..
If he’s learnt from that experience, I could see him running well tomorrow.
I think it adds to his case that he’s already 10 and has had plenty of issue, so connections won’t want to be messing around with him. I suspect that every race he runs in, he’ll be trying to win (and alas, you can’t say that of every runner that steps on a track !).
He’s 13/2 this evening - but I wouldn’t be too surprised to see closer to 8/1, at some point tomorrow…

Selection: Wilde Blue Yonder


2:15

This is a really interesting novice hurdle - in which I could give at least half a dozen a chance (which is unusual for a race of this nature).
More than that, I would struggle to choose between the 6 - though that’s mainly because there is limited form to assess.
Morning Vicar, Bold Plan and Diomed des Mottes, have all got a chance - but the market is wise to them.
I’d be more inclined to take a chance on Lord du Mesnil, Talktomenow or Mahari.
The last named would be very interesting, if Kerry Lee was in any kind of form - but she’s not, so he can only be watched.
Talktome now disappointed last time - but has a definite chance on the form of his hurdling debut behind Getaway Trump at Plumpton (that one is now vying for favouritism for the Betfair hurdle).
However, if forced, I would probably side with Lord du Mesnil.
He travelled strongly in a good class handicap last time - but didn’t get home.
He’s subsequently had a wind op - and drops back 3 furlongs tomorrow.
He’s more exposed than most of his rivals - but arguably has just about the best form in the book.
I think he has a very good chance of placing - and a fair chance of winning (though it is quite possible that one of his rivals will improve past him).

Selection: Lord du Mesnil at 8/1


3:20

I hoped I might be able to fathom this race - but I’m struggling…
Henryville was an official eye catcher on his most recent start - and I tipped him 10 days ago, when he was due to run at Kelso.
However, he bolted before the start that day - and was thankfully, withdrawn…
After those antics, it would be hard to support him again - even though I’m sure he is very well handicapped.
It also doesn’t add to his case the fact that he will be running tomorrow, over a trip that will stretch him - on ground that’s likely to be a bit too soft.
He is still half tempting at a big price (around 20/1) - but objectively, he should probably just be watched (though he could make a good back to lay in running play - assuming he consents to start !).
The trouble is, I’m struggling to find anything in the race which I can make a solid case for:
Dr Des and Conna Cross could both be interesting, if they stay the trip - but that is far from guaranteed;
Arthur's Gift is also quite interesting - but the ran poorly last time.
And it’s the same story with just about all of the runners - as there is a significant question mark hanging over each of them.
Obviously, one will positively answer their question - it’s just not easy to figure out which one it will be !
Bramble Brook strikes me as maybe the best option.
The issue with him is his most recent outing (last in a 3 horse race) - but prior to that he had run well on his seasonal debut, in a fair contest at Uttoxoter.
He should be fine with the trip and ground - so if his last run is ignored, he can be given a good chance.
He’s 12/1 this evening - but could easily be a bit bigger tomorrow - and maybe worth a small involvement.

Selection: Bramble Brook

No comments:

Post a Comment