Thursday 25 January 2018

Friday January 26th

Evening Preview 


As I said on Wednesday, with the Thyestes meeting today and a busy Saturday on the horizon, I had no intention of posting on the blog this week.

However, there has been so little decent action recently – and there are some reasonable races tomorrow – so I’ve decided to write up a few thoughts.

My plan is just to offer my views this evening – and not worry too much about updating tomorrow (at Lunchtime – or with a review).

There are 3 official eye catchers running on the day, with the first of them contesting the 2:05 at Huntington

Run Don’t Hide caught my eye last time at Wincanton, and is now running in a very suitable looking race.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to quantify a few of his rivals – some of which are making their handicap debuts (and literally, could be anything).

That said, I would expect Run Don’t Hide to run well – particularly as he’s Paddy Brennans only ride on the card.
You might need to take some direction from the betting on whether to get involved with him – if nothing else seems particularly strongly fancies, he could be worth siding with !

The other one worthy of a mention in the same race, is Rebel Beat.
He was an eye catcher last season – and debuts for Ian Williams tomorrow.

I’m sure he can win off his current mark – just less sure that he will do so tomorrow !

Again, a watching eye on the betting may help…

On the back of 2 decent effort this season, Masterplan should be the one to beat in the 2:40 race.

However, whilst I did think his form was strong, it has suffered some reverses over the last couple of weeks, so that may not be the case.
He’s also edged up the handicap for running well – but not winning (which is never a good thing).

I wouldn’t want to nominate one in particular to beat him – but all 4 of his rivals are potentially dangerous, which limits the appeal of the 2/1 about him…

The Mighty Don is the other eye catcher running on the Huntingdon card (3:15).
He caught the eye at Cheltenham 3 runs ago – and this will be his last run as an eye catcher.

I’m not particularly optimistic that it will be a winning one either – as this looks a tough race.

Protek des Flos is Barry Geraghtys only ride on the card – and he looks a worthy favourite.
Arthurs Gift could also be dangerous – if the race is run to suit (he would benefit from a strong pace).

Taquin du Seuil and Our Kaempfer are both handicapped to be dangerous – though I suspect neither will be fully wound up.
That may also be the case with Easter Day – but if there is money for him, I would take note.

In short, the race looks most likely to go to Protek des Flos - even if a price of 7/4 is a bit tight…

Over at Doncaster, I’ll be keeping a close eye on Lickpenny Larry in the opener (12:50).
I’m sure that he will ultimately prove much better than his current rating of 85 – though whether he will start to do that tomorrow, is a different matter…

He certainly has ability – but he may need more of a trip than the 2m3f he gets tomorrow, to be seen at his best…

Amber Gambler is the final eye catcher running on the day.
He contests the handicap chase at 3:05 – and looks to have a very good chance.

He steps up in trip and drops down in grade from his run last time at Sandown – and both things should work in his favour.

The only issue seems to be that it’s quite a competitive race !
However, I would expect him to run well and he should be in the thick of things.

Finally, One of Us contests the closing handicap hurdle (4:10).
He was a Lunchtime Nap last week at Market Rasen – but was pulled out on account of the very heavy ground.

It shouldn’t be as heavy at Doncaster tomorrow – and whilst he faces a bigger field, I’m not sure the race is any stronger.

There is always a chance of bumping into one in these low grade contests – but I think he sets the standard and 4/1 isn’t a bad price (if you can get it !!)

2 comments:

  1. Will you be doing the blog after the season ends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My season ends on Grand National day – April 14th – and I would intend to stop posting on the blog at that point.
    However, there’s a chance I will post on the odd day, through to the official NH season end, 2 weeks later.
    It’ll depend on how I feel and what the racing is like !

    ReplyDelete